Created in 2022, this housing program was to provide down payment and closing cost assistance to first-time, income-qualified homebuyers to help them buy a home in the community where they work. Originally, this program was to help those in career fields such as the health care industry, first responders, firemen, police, and other professions which directly helped those in need.
This assistance is provided via a zero-interest loan that is repaid when the home is sold, rented or transferred. Now, due to the success of the program, the Florida Legislature expanded it in 2023, making it even better and available to more real estate buyers.
Here is what has changed:
- An additional $100 million invested in HHHP so more hard-working Florida residents will be able to buy their first home.
- All full-time, Florida-based employees at or below 150% Area Median Income are now eligible
- The maximum loan amount increased from $25,000 to $35,000, while the cap of 5% of purchase price remains.
- Certain manufactured homes now qualify for HHHP loans
- HHHP is now an official part of Florida law (previously only a part of the 2022 state budget)
This is an incredible program that helps so many people struggling to purchase their first home in the current economy. Please reach out to me for more details or I can put you in touch with a professional mortgage lender to get you started on your house-hunting journey.
Learn more at: http://www.floridarealtors.org/hometown-heroes